Scientific Leadership & Management Course
This course provides 16 hours of training and is targeted at senior level postdocs and fellows as well as junior level faculty. The course is recommended for those who are about to lead research groups or those who have just begun to lead. The course is offered about every 18 months. The course is modeled after the successful course of the same name designed by Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and makes use of the HHMI book Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty.
The course generally covers such topics as:
- Leadership Styles
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Working with Others
- Working Through Others
- Managing Your Time More Effectively
- Staffing Your Research Group: Recruiting the Best
- The Big Picture: Promoting and Advancing Your Research Program
The 2013 course was the 7th offered at UCSF. Year after year, 98-100% of participants say they would recommend the course to a peer!
To view the 2013 Course Schedule, click here.
To view the 2013 Course Brochure, click here.
Applying for 2013 Course in Scientific Leadership and Management:
- The next UCSF course will be offered in December 2014. Applications will be available in Fall 2014.
This course is always oversubscribed. Priority is given to applicants who are:
junior faculty in their first few years of leading a research group, and
- senior postdocs/fellows in their last year of training
- junior faculty in their first few years of leading a research group, and
To apply for this course, revisit this page in Fall 2014.
- Applicants must be available to attend both days, the entire course.
- Applicants must be wiling to complete the course work. About one hour of pre-course effort is required of successful applicants. Additionally, two to three hours of homework effort will be required between the two days of the course
To request additional information about the 2013 Course in Scientific Leadership and Management, contact Bill Lindstaedt, Director, Office of Career and Professional Development, email@example.com