Strategy lecture videos
This workshop is designed as a flipped classroom - participants will watch the videos before the class and discuss the cases in class.
It is mandatory to watch these videos before attending the workshop. Total video time for Parts I & II is approximately 30 minutes.
For your convenience, we have included the lecture slides.
Business strategy learning objectives
This workshop is designed provide an overview of how scientific enterprises use strategy to achieve their overarching goals, and examples to illustrate the concepts. By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Define strategy and how scientific enterprises use strategy
- Identify the value proposition of a scientific enterprise
- Determine key stakeholders for a scientific enterprise
- Discuss how organizational context impacts budget and resource allocation
REQUIRED - Watch the video - Identifying Strategy from a Company's Website. Note: this is a narrated, screen capture recording.
Review the companies. Companies you might discuss include Global Blood Therapeutics, Intersect ENT, Juno Therapeutics, or any other company your group would like to discuss. As a group, participants might choose one of these companies to discuss in class or select a different company to practice identifying company strategy. Participants who browsed the websites before class reported a more positive and engaging in-class experience. So go ahead and see how much of the company's strategy you can identify from the website.
- How would you describe the company's value proposition?
- Why is the work important?
- What is unique about the technology or work product?
- Who has a stake in the outcomes of the work and what do they value?
- What can you say about their organizational context?
- Where in the development cycle is the enterprise?
- What is the structure of the enterprise (including funding)?
- What resources are available to achieve objectives?
- What is the company’s 1 - 3 year strategy?
Speakers and course developers
Michael Penn, Jr., MD, PhD - Vice President, Diversity, Outreach, J. David Gladstone Institutes
Brad Grueter, PhD - Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University
Calli Merkel, PhD - Engagement Manager at inVentiv Health Consulting
Kinkead Reiling, PhD - Entrepreneur and UCSF Biophysics alumnus
Kevin Mullane, PhD - Director of Corporate Liaison and Ventures, J. David Gladstone Institutes
Bill Lindstaedt, MS - Executive Director, Career Advancement, International and Postdoctoral Services, Student Academic Affairs, UCSF
Thi Nguyen, PhD - PI of Burroughs Wellcome Fund grant and OCPD career development consultant
Interested in learning more about the course or delivering this course at your university? Contact Thi at email@example.com.
This course is provided at no cost to graduate students and postdocs thanks to funding by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund.