What is the Business of Science?
"Every pill has a story. Before it got to a medicine cabinet, that pill had to pass the scrutiny of scientists toiling in labs. It had to win confidence in business meetings and prove itself safe to government regulators. Along the way, that pill could cost $1 billion or more in investment, and go on to generate billions in profit. That path, in more technical terms, is called life science commercialization, and it drives major sectors of the U.S. economy." according to a Biology Professor and Management Professor who teamed up to develop a business of science course at Wheaton College.
Gain a big picture view about how this business fits into the larger economy in this article on Business Backs the Basics by Suresh and Bradway at Sciencemag.org
What are opportunities in the business of science?
- This document from the NIH has a nice overview of types of jobs within business of science.
Learn more about opportunities in this career path
- Read ScienceCareers.org's, Tooling Up: The Business Development Career Track, by Dave Jensen.
- Read Career Opportunities in Biotechnology and Drug Development by Toby Freedman.
- Read Sciencemag.org's article on Business Principles for Basic Researchers by Chris Tachibana
- Check out the variety of jobs that relate to business of science at the dropoutclub.org
What are some fields related to the business of science?
- Business Development
- Quality Control
- Venture Capital & Banking
- Project Management
- Corporate Communications
- Product Support-Medical Science Liaison
- Medical Affairs
- See details and an overview of types of jobs within business of science, from the NIH.
Is the business field a good fit for you?
Good question! Find out by completing the AAAS's My Individual Development Plan Assessment Tool, which OCPD co-created. Answer three assessments and it will calculate and compare your skills/interests/values responses to key factors for 60 different career paths within 20 different career categories that are options for you as a scientist (including consulting!). Click on the image to the left to see a sample report.
- Take the business of science course, generally offered in the spring.
- Perform a real job task in Market Analysis or Search and Evaluation through a job simulation
Find your community
- Join UCSF's Registered Campus Organization: Biotech Connection Bay Area
- Join UCSF's Entrepreneur Club
- Join LinkedIn's 'Biotech & Pharma Group' and 'Biotech & Pharma Professionals' Group
- Join UCSFConnect, the Alumni Association's online community for networking with UCSF alumni.
- Follow Big3Bio. This page is focused on the Bay Area biotech news and events. There is a free daily news feed with valuable resources to check out.
Ready to start your job search?
Take a look at some sample job descriptions.
Internship opportunity examples.
**these are meant to serve only as examples. Actual job listing may be closed.
Want more help? Talk to a career counselor