The Chiu lab is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral scholar to conduct research on the development and validation of novel assays for the diagnosis of infectious diseases. The tools employed include metagenomic next-generation sequencing (mNGS) for pathogen detection and host transcriptomics. Research in the Chiu lab focuses on the development of mNGS wet and dry lab methods for the direct detection of pathogens from blood using Illumina and/or Oxford Nanopore technologies, the influence of the microbiome/virome on human health, and whole transcriptome host sequencing for the study of molecular pathways and biomarkers.
Projects may include screening of human, animal, or vector samples for disease agents; development of gene expression panels for infectious disease diagnosis; and development of probe enrichment strategies for enhanced detection of disease by mNGS.
The ideal candidate will have a background in microbiology/virology with experience in next generation sequencing library preparation and metagenomic sequencing data analysis.
- A doctoral degree or equivalent
- Solid molecular biology experience
- Microbiology/virology research experience preferred
- Experience analyzing NGS data and/or phylogenetic analysis preferred
- Bioinformatics, Statistics and familiarity with LINUX/UNIX or R a plus
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to balance multiple projects and adapt to shifting priorities
Please email Dr. Charles Chiu at [email protected] with your CV, cover letter, and names and contact information for two references.