If you are considering doing some teaching as part of your training experience-- you've come to the right place! Although there are no undergraduates at UCSF, opportunities do exist to teach professional school students, other graduate students, or K-12 students. We have also developed partnerships with local colleges and universities in the Bay Area to offer UCSF students and postdocs the opportunity to gain experience teaching undergraduate labs and lectures.
Teach at UCSF
- Graduate programs differ as do their teaching requirements and how they may be met. Consult your graduate program director for specifics.
- UCSF Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship
This is a great opportunity for postdocs to gain mentored teaching experience in UCSF's innovative new Medical School curriculum. Application deadline is typically in June.
- Postdocs interested in teaching opportunities can also ask the faculty member in charge of teaching assignments for their department if they know of any teaching opportunities in the professional schools. Often particular departments have a commitment to supply instructors to one or more of the professional schools (Pharmacy, Dentistry, Physical Therapy, Nursing, and Medicine). Alternatively, postdocs may wish to contact the curriculum directors of the professional schools directly.
Teach at a Nearby Institution
- University of San Francisco (USF): UCSF/USF Partnership for Undergraduate Mentoring and Teaching (PUMT)
Teach an undergraduate lab or lecture course at USF, or mentor a USF undergraduate student in your current lab.
- San Francisco State University (SFSU): UCSF/SFSU Instructor Training Program (ITP)
Get training, guest lecture in one of SFSU's post-bac programs, then teach a lecture course.
- City College of San Francisco (CCSF) Mentoring and Teaching Program
Guest-lecturing and mentoring opportunities working with students in the CCSF Biotechnology program. Good opportunity to develop teaching skills or apply your existing skills in a community college setting.
- UC Berkeley Extension
Teaching opportunities in the basic sciences including biology, chemistry, physics, and for upper division biology coursework. Applicants must have a PhD in relevant course matter and teaching experience, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected].
- Know of another local teaching opportunity? Email us.
Other UCSF Programs to Develop Your Teaching Skills
- Science and Health Education Partnership (SEP)
Teach science at the K-12 level through mentored teaching partnerships with San Francisco public schools. Mentor a high school student in your UCSF lab during the summer.
- Preparing Future Faculty- Teaching Apprenticeship Program (PFF-TAP)
On hold for the 2012-2013 academic year. Click here to see upcoming events pertaining to other facets of academic career preparation.
- IRACDA/STRIDE Postdoctoral Program
This fellowship focuses on teaching at minority-serving institutions and is aimed at postdocs who have a particular interest in contributing to diversity efforts in the life sciences. Coordinated by the UCSF Graduate Division and funded through an NIGMS K12 Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award, this fellowship is primaily available to candidates considering doing a postdoc at UCSF.
Want to receive job announcements for upcoming teaching positions?
Join OCPD's PFF listserv. Here you'll find a description of the listserv and instructions for how to join.