Getting an interview means the residency program director or employer sees you as a qualified candidate and is interested in hearing more about your training, skills and experience. The resources below will support you in every stage of the interview process, including preparing for an interview, presenting your skills, experiences and interests effectively and following up professionally.
A. Preparing for the Residency Interview:
- Find several articles about preparing for the interview and interviewing well from the AAMC
- Review the "Residency Applications" course for your graduating class on iRocket for additional tips on interviewing. (Link is located at the bottom of the page. You will have to log in using your MyAccess account)
- Learn what factors to consider to evaluate the strength and fit of any residency program, from the AMA
- How to answer the "What's your weakness?" question
- How to answer the "Have you ever been fired?" question, from CAREEREALISM
- How to look good in Skype/Video interviews, from NTDTrainingVideos
- How to prepare and communicate effectively on a phone interview
- Practice your interviewing skills with a counselor
B. Looking Polished: What to Wear, and Etiquette:
- Get ideas about what to wear and what to bring to a residency or employment interview on our OCPD Pinterest pages.
- Watch this great video on dining etiquette created by Niagara University
C. Following up: The Thank you Letter: