Candidates who would like to get feedback on their materials are encouraged to attend this workshop with their CV and cover letter at an advanced stage of development. Participants will be paired together and will use a rubric based on the Academic Career Readiness Assessment (ACRA) framework to give and receive feedback on their materials. Trainees have reported that this peer-review process is an effective format. The workshop facilitator will also provide some feedback and answer questions. Participants should send copies of a CV, cover letter, and a job description for which these materials have been tailored. This workshop is for application materials to R1 institutions, RT institutions (research/teaching: primarily undergraduate, liberal arts, and master's granting universities), and teaching-only institution applications.
The ACRA framework was developed using interviews from faculty members at diverse types of institutions, with the support of a Burroughs Wellcome Fund grant.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Develop application materials to represent themselves adequately for faculty positions
- Identify areas of improvement for their own application materials
- Analyze and evaluate other candidates' application materials
- Develop a strategy for addressing their areas of concerns in their materials
Materials used in our workshop:
- We will base our review of application materials on the information gathered through our Burroughs Wellcome Fund study of faculty hiring criteria, which is summarized in our Academic Career Readiness Assessment tool.
- You will receive feedback using the following PACUP rubric
- The concepts presented in the ACRA and rubric are summarized in this Prezi
Dates and times:
July 27, 2017 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Parnassus Register here
September 14, 2017 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Mission Bay Register here
October 18, 2017 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mission Bay Register here
- Cancellation Policy: You must cancel at least 24 hours before the workshop to allow time for another person to register.
If you fail to show up to the event without any justification, you may be prohibited from registering to future OCPD academic career programs. To cancel, please follow these instructions. Email [email protected] with issues.
- To be accepted to the workshop, you must email the following materials no less than 2 business days prior to the workshop to l[email protected], Subject: "Workshop Materials - First Name Last Name". Send all files as one PDF with the file name "Last name_First name_Workshop Materials"
Submit an application packet for a faculty position following our guidelines, including:
- 2 days prior to the event, you will receive a confirmation email with the room number and an additional preparatory assignment from Laurence Clement.
Warning: some of our emails have been known to go to spam, so please check your spam folder regularly, especially if you use gmail to check your emails.
For questions, please contact Laurence Clement at [email protected]
To find out more about our Academic Career Programs, please visit: http://career.ucsf.edu/academic-careers.
To receive future announcements, join the PFF listserv