What type of faculty position is right for you?
What skills do you need to get a faculty position in the U.S.?
In this workshop, we will explore the different types of faculty positions available to life scientists in the U.S., and the skills they require, including R1 institutions, Liberal Arts Colleges, Master's Granting Universities and Community Colleges. Participants will use the Academic Career Readiness Assessment (ACRA) Framework to assess their level of preparedness for different positions, and to set professional development and research goals for the rest of their training. The ACRA Framework was developed with the input from faculty members at diverse types of institutions, and with the support of a Burroughs Wellcome Fund grant.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the different types of academic institutions in the US
- Identify institutions where they would like to work as a faculty and describe hiring criteria
- Assess their level of readiness for a position
- Prioritize career development activities to attain their target positions
Dates and times:
Research/Teaching (RT) institutions such as Primarily Undergraduate, Liberal Arts, and Master's granting Institutions:
- July 13th, 2017 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Parnassus Room CL 221+222 Register here
- Check back soon for the August workshop information
You must cancel at least 24 hours before the workshop to allow time for another person to register.
If you fail to show up to the event without any justification, you may be prohibited from registering to future OCPD academic career programs. To cancel, follow these instructions. If you have any issues, email at [email protected] with the subject line "cancellation: workshop [date]".
For questions, please contact Laurence Clement at [email protected]
To find out more about our Academic Career Programs, please visit: http://career.ucsf.edu/academic-careers.
To receive future announcements, join the PFF listserv