A wide range of jobs are available for PhDs in non-academic sectors and in industry. Once you're ready to search for job opportunities, find articles and resources below to help you locate companies and opportunities.
In order to job hunt effectively, it's essential to know the job application process used in non-academic sectors. For example, do you know the difference between Human Resources and the Hiring Manager? If not, start by reading about Job Search Strategies - download slides
Check out resources from our biotech industry researcher workshops to get started on your job search.
- Read ScienceCareer's Step-by-Step Networking Protocol, Part I and Part II
- Read Seeking Work in the Social Net at ScienceCareers
Using LinkedIn to find positions and connect with professionals
- Learn how to use LinkedIn to find positions at Sproutsocial
- Read tips for creating your LinkedIn profile
- Tips for contacting strangers on LinkedIn about a job
B. Dual-Career Search
Are you in a dual-career search and not sure what challenges and advantages you may face when starting your search or negotiating a position?
- Read more in The A to Z of Dual-Career Couples (an article from The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Check out resources and a job search engine for dual-career couples (from Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
C. Job Boards for Industry Careers
- Chemical and Engineering News
- The Scientist.com
Know of another useful job board we should feature? Email us.